MAN! The Lord has really been speaking to my heart about being content lately. The topic of contentment has come up in various different conversations, bible studies and devotions,so I better pay attention right?!
I did a word study on contentment, and of course the LORD has so much to say on this topic. The Apostle Paul, speaks of this in Philippians Chapter 4:
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength. (Emphasis added)
It doesn't matter what we struggle to be content with; whether it's our finances, material items, circumstances, family situations, church families or friendships. The LORD gives us the key here at the end. I can do ALL
things through him who gives me strength. He doesn't promise us riches, beautiful home furnishings, a nice car, easy relationships, and a smooth and simple life. He doesn't say that he won't give us more then we can handle. He does promise in John 16:33 that we WILL have trouble in this world. But he also says, Take Heart! I have overcome the world.
If we choose to seek our purpose and joy in Him and not the world, or other people, or material items, we will find contentment, and won't be so disappointed when things don't go our way!
I don't have this down perfectly. Far from it actually! I stress and worry and get anxious and get mad when things don't work out the way I think it should go. I envy other people's stuff from time to time. But I also endeavor to stop and think about all the amazing things he HAS blessed me with; my salvation, my beautiful family, health, a home, great friends, and an amazing church family. This helps me to remember all the things he has already done.
Whenever we're feeling discontent, let's take the time to remember what he has already done in our lives, and praise Him for it. We might find that it will turn our frowns upside down!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment