Friday, February 19, 2010

RECIPES

So on my facebook page,I had talked about meal planning and recipes a bit. I am really on fire right now to change up my family's diet. I have been learning a great deal about whole foods and nutrition and we are making some small but significant changes. I am really working to eliminate processed refined foods from our diet. This is huge! It takes a lot of preparation on my part, but it is so worth it.
I wanted to share a couple of recipes that I discovered that were just so good for you, and actually tasted good too!
Apple Oat Muffins
2 cups oats, rolled, quick cooking
2 cups white flour, unbleached-(would like to try with whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup wheat bran
1/3 cup 7 grain cereal-(from Bob's Red Mill)
2 TBSP baking powder
1 1/2 TSP. Ground Cinnamon
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup canola oil-(could sub applesauce)
1/3 cup honey
2 cups peeled,chopped apples

In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats,flour,brown sugar,wheat bran, 7 grain cereal, baking powder, and cinnamon.
In another bowl, mix together the 2 eggs, milk, oil, and honey. Add chopped apples and mix well. Pour Egg mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Line muffin pans with paper cups. Fill each cup about 2/3rd full and bake in 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until done.
Each muffin is about 100 calories; would be less if you subbed applesauce for the oil! Yumm-o!

Sante Fe chicken salad

Spicy Ranch Dressing
Make one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing according to directions on package. We usually use light mayo in our dressing and 1% milk.

Mix 1 TBSP. Cumin and 1 TBSP. Chili powder to the ranch dressing and let sit for at least 20 minutes so the flavors will incorporate. (We usually set aside some ranch for the girls, before we add the spices)

4 cups washed, ripped romaine lettuce
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup black beans
1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
1 cup shredded skim milk mozzerella cheese
1 cup chopped red onion
1 avocado diced
Toss all ingredients together; set aside.

4 Blackened Chicken Breasts

Lightly brush each chicken breast with olive oil, coat with blackened seasoning spices. (For our family, I only do 2 chicken breasts with the spices. The girls prefer their chicken with a little less heat!)
Grill chicken until no longer pink, and juices run clear, or until meat thermometer reaches 180 degrees.

Slice chicken thinly and layer on top of salad. Use dressing in moderation.Enjoy!


I will be posting some other new recipes soon. I would love to hear from any of you that have some healthy recipes, or gluten free,

No comments:

Post a Comment